Facial Palsy UK is looking for a volunteer to help with Public Relations and writing up stories for our website. Above expertise or qualifications, we are looking for someone who is dependable, who can commit to supporting us for a few hours each week for a minimum of three months. The volunteer position will provide good preparation to working in the sector. You will get to meet new people and receive valuable experience which may help you with career advancement in future.
About Facial Palsy UK
We take the simplest things for granted in our everyday lives. The ability to keep food in our mouths as we eat, the ability to close our eyes for sleep, the ability to kiss our loved ones, and the ability to laugh without fear of being ridiculed. The condition facial palsy affects basic human function, yet many people are not receiving the help and support they deserve.
Facial Palsy UK provides support to people affected by facial paralysis, we provide information to the general public and health professionals, and we raise funds for research. Facial palsy has more than 50 different causes, the most common being Bell’s palsy.
Travel, telephone and meal expenses in accordance with our expenses policy.
Duties and responsibilities
Specific duties include, but may not be limited to:
- Speaking to people with facial palsy who want to share their story on our website or in the media. This can sometimes take one or two hours if they want to tell their story over the phone.
- Editing written stories sent to the charity for use on the website/in the press.
- Writing up stories and emailing to subjects for checks.
- Getting image consent forms signed.
- Write up case study/press release as required and send to subjects for checks.
- Load story and images on the website.
- Update charity database
What are we looking for?
Ideally someone with:
- An interest in writing human interest stories
- A sensitive and diplomatic approach
- An interest in journalism
- Proficiency in MS Word and Outlook
- Attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
When can you do this role?
This is a part-time opportunity and you can do it either from home or in our accessible office (Monday, Wednesday or Friday) in Eventus, Market Deeping, Peterborough.
Last reviewed: 23-04-2018 || Next review due: 30-06-2018